“How far in advance should I book my trip to Paris?” This is one of the most asked questions we receive and it is a great one! The answer varies depending upon your situation. The more “musts” you have, the farther in advance you should book. These “musts” include staying in a particular area of Paris, during a particular show at a museum, during Fashion Week, on Bastille Day, when the flowers start to bloom, during the department store sales…… If you want to be in Paris on a specific date like your birthday or your anniversary you should plan your visit as soon as you get your dates set in stone. Of course, if you are more flexible with your “musts”, last minute deals can be found but you may have to compromise on a few details. For the average traveler coming to Paris, these are our suggestions for timing everything just right.
1. You should start shopping airfares about 90 days before you plan to travel. Depending on the season, you can get a gauge for what the fare will be and we suggest consulting with a travel agent for their take on whether the fares will go on sale anytime soon. If you are using airline “points” start inquiring about those flights the moment you decide on a date. Reward travel is very limited, especially to Europe, and the flights sell out fast. We have often booked airfare with points almost a year ahead of time just to make sure we got what we wanted!
Our Marais Magic Property
2. Booking your airfare and finding an apartment can be done at the same time. Especially if you are falling in love with a particular property, you should check that it is available around the dates that you are shopping for your airfare. Our easy to use calendar that is on the same page of each property makes that very simple. We find that people who start booking about 90 days prior to their arrival have the best selection to choose from. For those last minute travelers, the online calendar makes it very easy to see what is still available.
3. Check your passports!! You should give yourself a 90 day cushion to make sure that passport is in your hands and up to date! Really look at the date and make sure that is doesn’t expire during your trip. It has happened but we won’t name names!
4. As your trip gets closer, you will want to make any “must see” reservations or event ticket purchases. Our experience is that most restaurants in Paris won’t book a table more than 30 days in advance. There can be exceptions but this is the general rule. It is also a great time to secure some Euros. At the time we are writing this, the Euro is dropping!!! This means it is the perfect time to go to Paris!
5. Your trip is about a week away! It is time to start pulling things to pack, buy a couple of things you might need and don’t forget to make arrangements for your pets! We have written about packing for Paris before and we love to get creative packing tips from Pinterest.
We hope you have a fabulous trip to Paris! Bon Voyage!